Establishing Paternity

Establishing Paternity

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Paternity

Child custody and support arrangements are an integral part of the divorce process, unmarried couples face additional challenges when attempting to enforce their rights as parents. While the family court system does recognize the rights of parents to spend time with their children and receive financial support, you may have to complete several additional steps, including establishing paternity and hiring an experienced child support lawyer just call 317-762-3263.

Establishing Paternity

The federal government requires every state to have an easy option for unmarried couples to legally establish paternity. Some states allow the parents to submit a signed Voluntary Establishment of Paternity form at the hospital when the child is born, or through the local Department of Health office at a later time. Once it’s filed and processed, the father’s name will appear on the birth certificate, giving him ALL of the rights and responsibilities of a legal and biological parent.

Need Help with Establishing Paternity?

Call 317-762-3263

Establishing Paternity Through the Courts

Disagreements about the paternity of a child are common in custody and child support cases. If either parent is uncertain of the child’s paternity, the matter must be resolved through the family court system. In most cases, settling paternity disputes now requires a DNA test, which is a method of establishing paternity with a high degree of certainty. However, the cases where paternity is in  question can be extremely complex in nature, so mothers seeking financial support and fathers pursuing access to their children should hire a skilled child custody lawyer to help establish the child’s paternity and to protect the parent’s and the rights of the child.

If You Need Help in Determining How to Establish Paternity

Find yourself in a predicament where you are trying to establish paternity? Give us a call at 317-762-3263 for help with best determining how to establish paternity.